Thursday, November 3, 2011

Working Out while Pregnant

I am a huge supporter of exercise during pregnancy, provided there are no medical  or surgical contraindications, ofcourse. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends getting in 30 minutes of exercise most, if not all, days of the week. The prospect of going to the gym most days of the week may sound outrageous but what a lot of women don't realize is that you don't need to follow a crazy and, perhaps, unsustainable workout schedule. Something as simple as walking for 30 minutes a day is good enough. And if that seems like a lot, walk for however long you can. Just get moving! Not only can exercise during pregnancy give you great muscle tone, it has also shown to help with sleep, posture, energy, and mood levels as well as providing for a smooth labor process. Just be sure to get your doctor's okay before you start an exercise program while pregnant.

Source

I worked out throughout my entire pregnancy, upto the day before I gave birth. Despite my  legs resembling two tree trunks, thanks to all the swelling, I continued pulsing and plie-ing my way through my favorite barre class. At that point it obviously was not about the burn. My reason for doing it? I felt great! I had oodles of energy and unlike other pregnant friends I did not suffer from back-aches. Labor, unfortunately, was not so easy but hey, three out of four ain't bad!

Physique 57 was my workout of choice while pregnant. The fact that it is low-impact and has the capability to provide lots of variations made it the obvious choice for me. If you are currently pregnant be sure to check out their prenatal workshop this Saturday, November 5th at Physique 57's upper west side studio. It will be taught by Alicia Weihl and Kim D'Agnese, two wonderful instructors, each of whom has prenatal Pilates certification. The 90-minute class is described as follows:

"In addition to learning all of the variations which can be applied to a regular Physique 57 class during your pregnancy, this workshop will teach you the key exercises for you to implement in the weeks immediately following childbirth to ensure a quick, optimal recovery. Time will be allotted to answer all of your questions. Moms-to-be in all trimesters and of all experience levels are welcome."

Details: Saturday November 5th, 315pm, at Physique 57's 72nd Street studio. For more details and to sign up click here.


Question: Would you exercise while pregnant? And if you have exercised while pregnant what was your workout of choice?