Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'll Take Manhattan

I have been out of commission for a while but I am back. Nothing like coming back home. Especially after a horrendous 14-hour flight on which my kid cried for two straight hours! Not his fault. He was sick and the dry cabin air did his sore throat no favors. Nevertheless, I was THAT person on the plane. The one that everyone is staring at because their kid just won't quieten down. Sorry, fellow passengers, but sometimes you just gotta deal with it!

I lightened up once we were comfortably settled in the back of a taxicab and on our way home. Driving from the airport and seeing the glorious Manhattan skyline always makes my heart skip a beat. My jaw drops and I just stare. Every time. And I have been living here for 10 years. What is it about this place that makes me love it so much?



 * It's the comfort of knowing I can order a pizza at two o'clock in the morning. Or a Reuben. Or a Greek salad. Really. I have done that.

Source

 * It's going out for brunch and finding out that I am being seated on the table next to Richard Gere (true story).

 * It's the exhilaration of running along the Reservoir in Central Park, a calm oasis smack in the middle of this bustling city.

Source

 * It's spending hours perusing books at the Strand Book Store.

 * It's eating a Shake Shack burger (in my opinion, the greatest burger ever) in Madison Square Park.

Source

 * It's watching the gorgeous dancers of the New York City Ballet so effortlessly do their thing season after season.

 * It's screaming my lungs out while riding the world's oldest roller coaster, the Cyclone, in Coney Island.

 * It's watching Madonna rock it live at the Garden.

 * It's walking through the rooms at the Frick Collection, imagining what it must have been like living in this mansion when it was a residence in the early 1900s.

Source

 * It's singing along to the Jersey Boys on Broadway on my birthday.

 * It's discovering little-known but amazing dance companies at the Joyce Theater.


I could go on and on. So many wonderful experiences from this one city.

I couldn't live anywhere else.

Question: What do you love most about the city you live in?