Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Alexander McQueen Mania!

This is the last week of the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met. If you haven't already seen it I strongly urge you to go! It really deserves the rave reviews it has been getting.


I decided to go to the Met this morning not quite expecting the jarring crowds that packed the museum. This was at 11am on a Tuesday morning.


Um, all those people snaking around the first floor balcony? They are waiting to enter the McQueen exhibit. Please note that the actual exhibit is nowhere near this balcony. The waiting time for these poor people at the time this picture was taken was 2 hours 30 minutes.

Okay. I thought, Plan B. Become a member of the museum and skip the line. That took another fifteen minutes as I was not the only one who had this bright idea. Nevertheless, feeling quite smug with myself I went up to the exhibit, bypassing hundreds and hundreds of people waiting in that miserable line only to get to this:


This is the back of the members-only line!

Luckily I only had to wait 20 minutes.

Sadly, I was not allowed to take any pictures. But thanks to the Internet I was quickly able to find my favorite outfit from the exhibit.

Source

Those are microscope slides on the mannequin's back , painted red to give the sense that there is blood underneath. I think the hematopathologist in me appreciated that! The skirt is made of ostrich feathers that are dyed red. Pretty wild!

It is such an awe-inspiring and creative exhibit. A definite must-see!