Thursday, August 25, 2011

From Punky To Parenting: Soleil Moon Frye - Diva Mom Book Launch Event

Punky Brewster was a huge part of my childhood, especially when it came to fashion. I donned the brightly colored vest over my shirt. I tried to pull my short hair into two side pony-tails. I tied the bandanna around my knee. The mismatched high-tops were slightly more difficult to pull off in my household- my mom had to draw the line somewhere!


Soleil Moon Frye, who played the sassy and spirited Punky, has matured into a beautiful mom and an entrepreneur who runs a successful children's clothing line. She has just written a book called "Happy Chaos" that chronicles her adventures in parenting. Divalysscious Moms threw a book launch party for Soleil last night which I was able to attend.

The party was held at a stunning and very tastefully decorated model apartment at the Azure, a high-rise on the upper east side of Manhattan with the most breath-taking views of the city.

The Azure

I chatted barre workouts with Lyss Stern, the lovely founder of Divalysscious Moms. Turns out she was a former barre-fly herself!

with Lyss

After a brief presentation by the realtors of the Azure, it was time for the book reading.


We were already excited to be meeting her but Soleil, nonetheless, charmed everyone further. She was incredibly warm, funny and with a total lack of airs. She read a hilarious chapter from her book that described the cluelessness that ensues immediately after delivering a baby. 


After the reading we had a brief Q&A with Soleil, where we learned that she and Cherie Johnson (who played Punky's best friend on the show) are still in touch, and that Punky's personality was very similar to her own. She also provided parenting tips drawn from her own experience. The event ended with a signing and I got to chat with the gorgeous Soleil, where I was able to tell her what a major influence she was in my fashion choices as a seven-year old!  


Question: What was your favorite 80s tv show? 

1 comment:

Babar Khan said...

Really good to hear from you and I appreciate your writing skills and knowledge and waiting for more updates and thank you very much for posting and sharing

Post a Comment