Sunday, May 13, 2012

Indulging My Sweet Tooth on the Lower East Side

The Lower East Side houses some of the most funkiest shops, most eclectic restaurants and provides some of the most interesting people-watching in the city. Sadly, I don't make it down there as much I used to anymore. Which is a shame because it is home to two phenomenal NYC bakeries.

I was in that neighborhood last week and as I was walking over to my destination I stopped in my tracks when I saw this...


Baked goods are one of my weaknesses and doughnuts are at the top of the list! Doughnut Plant keeps winning accolades for "best NYC doughnut" and in all my years of living here I had yet to stop by. Thrilled, I sauntered in...


Ah, so many choices! I went a bit overboard and picked up a two yeast doughnuts (pistachio and strawberry), two caked doughnuts (tres leches and chocolate chip cookie) and one peanut-butter and banana cream dough seed (kind of like a big doughnut hole).

Feeling quite pleased with my purchase, I decided to continue exploring the Lower east side, stopping in my tracks when I found myself facing Babycakes NYC. Yes, bakeries have that effect on me. Babycakes is another legendary NYC bakery, although this one is known to cater to vegans, in addition to creating doughnuts, cupcakes and brownies that are free of refined sugar, gluten, wheat and soy.



I picked up an agave brownie, a red velvet spelt cupcake and a vanilla sprinkle doughnut.

Let's just say I spend the weekend in a dessert-induced coma. My recommendation is to stick to the caked doughnuts at the Doughnut Plant. The caked flavors (especially tres leches) are heavenly! Also Babycakes is definitely worth the hype. I am a purist when it comes to baked goods, and sugar, butter and all that good stuff are part and parcel of the perfect cake/brownie/doughnut. I must say that Babcakes blew my mind and I will even concede in saying that my favorite of all my purchases was Babycakes vanilla sprinkle doughnut!

The indulgence continued onto this morning. I was asked my Mother's day plans on Well + Good NYC and thankfully the hubby read them. So this morning I was treated to this...


Challah French toast! Delish!

Question: What's your favorite place to buy baked goods? Have you tried Babycakes NYC?