Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Things I Could Do Without on the Subway

With my new (rather long) commute I have come to spend a good amount of time on the subway and it has been quite interesting. Often, I see scenes like the one depicted below which bring a smile to my face. At other times it's a different story.

Source
Here are some things I could do without on my morning commute:

1. Watching a Lady Trimming her Cuticles:
Two weeks ago I was thrilled to nab the last seat on a subway car. My delight was short-lived when I realized that the lady sitting next to me was trimming her cuticles, complete with manicure scissors and some sort of tweezer. Talk about unhygienic. Completely disgusted, I had to swerve over to the opposite side to avoid flakes of dead skin landing on my shoe.

2. Flossing:
I don't know what it is about me getting stuck in cars with people that love to groom themselves but this really happened also. Last week, a man sitting in front of me started to floss. Did I mention that we were on the subway? He did this for a good five minutes. Five minutes. Really. Wait, it gets better. He then pulled out a mini toothbrush (slight digression: I should really get one of these for my baby) and started brushing his teeth. I wish I were making this up. I stared at him for a while and then joined the other straphangers in their nonchalance.

3. Early morning Mariachi bands:
A lot of the subway performers are really talented but a loud mariachi band first thing in the morning can be quite jarring.

4. Listening to Sermons:
The express trains are a haven for preachers. Nothing like proclaiming your message to a subway car full of unwilling people who have no means of escape until the next station.

Aah, I love New York.

Yup, could do without seeing these two also
Source

Question: What is the strangest thing you have ever seen on the subway?