Sunday, September 25, 2011

Edging Closer to the 2012 NYC Marathon: The Fifth Avenue Mile

The past two weeks have been a blur of activity. With grad school and the never-ending amount of reading I have to do, spending time with the hubby and little guy and finding time to catch up with friends, this blog has been suffering from some serious neglect.

I am slowly finding my groove and shall return to writing more regular posts very soon, so please do stick around! I have been trying some new fitness classes also so stay tuned for the reviews in the next few weeks.

This weekend I ran the Fifth Avenue Mile. Fifth Avenue was blocked from 80th Street all the way down to 59th Street so that runners could get a chance to run their fastest mile. Central Park on your right, stunning townhouses and pre-war buildings to your left-this really is a special race. This race is also a NYC Marathon qualifier so it's an easy way to make up the requirement of nine New York Road Runner (NYRR) races in order to be eligible for the following year's NYC marathon. I have been trying to complete the nine NYRR races for the past few years with not much success. But hopefully this will be the year!

Source

The Fifth Avenue Mile was my seventh race this year-so only two races left till this wannabe future marathoner can officially call herself a future marathoner!

The race was a lot of fun despite the crazy amount of humidity! It being only one mile meant a lot of ladies were trying to PR and so were pretty aggressive about pushing ahead! Yup, I actually got pushed. I, on the other hand, was a little more relaxed with my goals, aiming to run the mile under 9 minutes so I was quite chuffed to realize I ran it at 7:42! Was nice bumping into Jess and Erica also!

As part of the NYRR NYC Marathon eligibility program there is also a volunteer requirement. In order to complete that I woke up bright and early at 4am today so that I could get to the NYRR office by 515am to distribute race bibs for this morning's 18-mile Marathon Tune-up. Waking up at 4am on a Sunday is beyond brutal, especially with the kind of schedule I have been having. But luckily I only had to stay right till the race began (which was at 7am today) so by 730am I was back home. I wore my " I <3 Sweat" t-shirt which was quite the conversation starter. For those of you who don't know this t-shirt is in support of Ali who ran the Hamptons Marathon yesterday (Congrats, Ali!) to raise money for the Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America.



So seven races down and one volunteer requirement fulfilled. NYC Marathon 2012, here I come!